1-509-488-5514

Noon - 6:00 pm

Closed Monday & Thursday

 

Keeping pets safe during Halloween

 

October 29, 2019 at 5:00 am | Submitted by LUANN MORGAN Adams County Pet Rescue

 

Photo courtesy of Adams County Pet Rescue Inaki is all dressed up and ready for Halloween, but she will stay safe by not participating in tricks-or-treats.

 

Halloween is this week and one thing parents want is to ensure their children’s safety.

 

But what about pets? How do we make sure they are free from harm during the holiday?

 

Adams County Pet Rescue has some suggestions on how to do just that. Jalene Oberloh, adoption specialist at ACPR, said the No. 1 thing to protect against at any holiday is chocolate toxicity.

 

“Some people are not aware that chocolate can be very toxic,” Oberloh said. “We need to keep candy buckets off the floor and out of reach. Dogs will eat the wrappers, too.”

 

Oberloh said owners need to be particularly aware of a faster than normal heart rate as it is one of the key symptoms. She said the pet should be taken immediately to the veterinarian.

 

“Put the dog in the car and call the vet on your way,” Oberloh said. “The pet’s weight will determine the amount of toxicity, whether it is mild, moderate or severe.”

 

Once at the vet, the dog will be made to vomit to empty its stomach of any remaining chocolate. Activated charcoal is then administered to absorb any toxins.

 

Other symptoms to watch for, Oberloh said, are restlessness, diarrhea and muscle tremors, which can cause internal bleeding or heart failure.

 

“Symptoms can last up to 72 hours,” she said. “They normally show up six to 12 hours after eating.”

 

The amount of chocolate that can be toxic to dogs is equal to about one ounce per pound of body weight. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. An average candy bar is typically two ounces.

 

In addition to chocolate, there are other foods during the season that are especially toxic to dogs, such as xylitol, found in sugar-free gum. Grapes and onions are foods that can be fatal to dogs. Other products include marijuana, rat bait, ant and roach bait, ibuprofen, bleach, fertilizers, paints, gasoline, kerosene and antifreeze, so these need to be kept from pets year round.

 

During Halloween, don’t let your animals eat corn on the cob as they can choke on the cob. Pumpkins can help ease stomach issues if given within reason, but if jack-o-lanterns are left outside and begin to get moldy, it’s not a good idea for pets eat it.

 

As far as dressing your pet up for Halloween, don’t force them into a costume.

 

“If it wants to wear a costume, it will,” Oberloh said.

 

It is also recommended that people not take their pets trick-or-treating. Keep the pet inside in a back room where it is quiet and far away from the average loud noises of children coming to the door. In fact, the shelter still has dogs that got loose on July 4.

 

“Noises can make dogs scared and unsure,” Oberloh said. “It’s better to keep them safe than risk them getting out.”

 

If you find a stray dog, bring it to ACPR. After hours, keep the dog secure until the next morning.

 

Also, if you suspect your dog may have gotten into any toxic substance, call your vet immediately. If closed, Pioneer Veterinary Clinic in Moses Lake provides 24-hour emergency services. That number is (509) 765-6794.

 

“It’s important to keep your pets safe at Halloween,” Oberloh said.

 

Oberloh has been at ACPR for about two months. Prior to that, she was a veterinary technician in Utah for three years.

 

Adams County Pet Rescue is located at 1961 Bench Road east of the fairgrounds. Hours are noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The facility is closed Mondays and Thursdays for cleaning. To contact ACPR, call (509) 488-5514 or email adopt@AdamsCountyPetRescue. Be sure to visit the website at www.adamscountypetrescue.com and like their Facebook page.

 

 

Copyright:  2018 Adams  County Pet Rescue